Friday, November 1, 2019

Distributing Student Talk and Work


 EduLeader Newsletter , October 2019


Last night, as I was sitting in our family room, I saw my ten-year old son sitting on the couch eating a plate of rice, watching the Qatari soccer league on TV, and playing on his virtual Real Madrid team on his iPad app, Dream League. My motherly reaction was to order him to put his plate on the kitchen table and to turn off either the TV or the iPad. His immediate response was that he wanted to both play and watch! Then it hit me. This kid can multitask, and he was comfortable doing several things at once. I recalled how in the many classes I attend, I often observe teachers doing all the work at the board while students are left bored in their desks expected to follow up on what the teacher was doing. In the post-observation conferences with teachers, I often give feedback on the amount of teacher talk time TTT in comparison to the student talk time STT. Also, I discuss with teachers the options for distributing student work and allowing them freedom to do things at their pace and preferences.

In classroom settings, it is common to see the teacher controlling the activities; when the activity starts, when it ends and how it is done. While this might be required at times, the control over students’ work is taken to extremes when the class is expected to sit and follow what is going on on the board the length of the teaching period; first the input session and then the modeling of application, followed by a student applying on the board. Up till now, all is good and logical. But when it comes to the worksheet or workbook activities, many times, it is expected that the students remain attentive and the teacher works out the activities item by item on the board with the presence of one student at the board (or none). Then students copy the correct answers off the board.

While teachers have been exposed to the concept of cooperative learning and varying classroom interaction, control over classroom happenings is highly practiced. The shift from teacher-controlled practices to distributed interaction is still not evident enough in classroom practices and teachers are not always to blame. This could be due to many factors, one being that the teachers themselves went through a teacher-controlled mode of instruction as students. Another could be that the teachers have not witnessed distributed interaction enough and have not been given enough opportunities to practice it during their pre and during service training to gain automaticity in practicing it. Whatever the case is, instructional leaders need to intervene, provide feedback and equip teachers with the appropriate practices. In addition, they need to allow teachers to reflect on their practices and come up with their own judgment on what works best for them.

Some of the practices and structures that can be introduced in classroom settings to enhance distributed work:

  • ·       Think-pair-share
  • ·       Talking to a face/shoulder partner about their work
  • ·       Peer editing
  • ·       Providing oral/written feedback to a partner
  • ·       Students dividing tasks among each other and assigning roles
  • ·       Using a discussion mat to reach a final consent on a topic
  • ·       Buddy journal writing
  • ·       Conducting gallery walks and asking questions
  • ·       Flipping the classroom

      In this regard, I suggest Kagan’s book: Kagan Cooperative Learning Structures for cooperative learning structures that have been proven effective.

The activities are endless, and the shift to allow students freedom is necessary. It allows students to work at their own pace which benefits the fast achievers because they will be able to do more and those who need additional support because the task design allows them the time to get the extra support they need. The teacher will also have ample time to observe and collect information about class dynamics, which serves as basis for formative evaluation on which she/he can plan to improve student learning. Further, when work is distributed, it is expected that discipline problems decrease because all are engaged rather than controlled.

And if my son can play a soccer game and watch another simultaneously, why should I use my motherly authority to stop it and have him work at a pace I am comfortable with! But, for sure, no eating on the couch is allowed, and the use of the iPad is limited to one hour per day!

23 comments:

Dima Al Ghizzaoui said...

Very interesting article!
Well, for me as both, mom and teacher, it grabbed my attention.
Being a mom of a 6-year old girl, made me ask myself the exact question you've asked to yourself. Is my toddler able to multi-task?
Then I discovered that yes, she does!
From this point, I deduced a strategy to use with my students. I'm actually not the type of the strict teacher, that obliges her students to obey law. Yet, I didn't use to accept any non-paying attention student.
After observing my daughter, I found that there are some students who can not concentrate, without doing something else at a time. For example, I used to have a student that loved to put his pencil in-and-out the pencil case all the time, whenever I was discussing a lesson. But, whenever I asked him any question, he always had the correct answer. So, it was a manner of concentrating, instead of being distracted.
Therefore, my daughter has taught me to neglect a secondary and even a tertiary behavior, if the student is being attention at the same time.

Asmaa Rafih said...

The newer studies has shown that our brains are not nearly as good at handling multi-tasks as we like to think we are. Some other studies suggest that multitasking can actually reduce productivity by as much 40%.An example from one study was switching from one task to another makes it difficult to tune out distractions and can cause mental blocks that can slow you down.

sandra bahmad said...

very interesting article!it remembered me about when a was a child :)
when i was in the school (8 years old), I always love to eat in the class and to chew a gum and i understand what the teacher is saying in the same time .Some time the teacher shouted sandra stop eating and chewing a gum ,but after many times ,she saw me that i'am available to answer the questions correctly that she asked ,then she forgive for me to do what i want,Multi tasking is an important point it helps motivate people to achieve more.

Samar's Place said...

I really enjoyed reading the article! for me as a teacher and a mom at the same time, I notice that some students really concentrate on doing more than one thing.

Thouraya Moustafa said...

It is an interesting topic.

Anonymous said...

it is interesting, in my opinion it is very helpful for mothers.

Unknown said...

I enjoy reading about this topic

Maria said...

it's a very nice and attractive topic!

Maria said...

it's a very nice and attractive topic!

teaching diploma said...

It is interesting method

ZAZA said...

VERY NICE

ZAZA said...

VERY NICE

ZAZA said...

VERY NICE

jihan said...

very nice and attractive

Maysa Damaj said...

It is great to let students release what talents they have and stop restricting them with so many rules and regulations where unnecessary.

Jana Ismael said...

Very Impressive and Interesting

Abeer Araji said...

I really found this post very useful in our teaching mission

layal said...

your son is lucky to have a knowledgeable and understanding mother like you!
Hope all teachers read this topic and benefit from it to know how to manage their classrooms effectively

Ruba Gandour said...

It feels great to read an article that shows the importance of having students loud their voices. On a personal level, I believe students need to be sharing their experiences and knowledge must of the time to be completely engaged and learn as much as possible during every lesson.

Mohammad Rahal said...

The idea of human multitasking is anti-proportional to time! As the human gets older, his ability to do accurate multitasks decreases a lot in comparison with a kid. It happens with me, I play a game with my oldest cousin Ali (6 years old), and this game is based on memorizing the place of an object before it disappear and go look for it; unfortunately, I lose against Ali 90% of the games, He beats me while watching the TV, talking, singing, and doing many things while we play the game. Human mind is a gift, we should keep it healthy and wise.

Nadine beqai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nadine beqai said...

As shown in this article that human brain can accepted and do a lot of techniques in one time I think that students center learning should be a necessary part in our curriculum, this method will help to have a climate that full of sharing ideas. not all work should be on the teacher to explain and solve, student can learn , explain, solve and work together by this way they will be engaged and on task all time

dima's said...

Teachers that are using teacher's controlling classrooms are old fashioned and not effective as much. I agree with you that work must be distributed for the benefit of all( teachers, high achievers, low achievers). There are so m any ways to do so especially these days where technology is taking place. I will read the book mentioned. Thank you.